About PDI Rail Solutions
PDI Rail Solutions, which provides consultancy to the rail / transit industry, is a dedicated division of Protection Development, Incorporated (PDI), an established engineering firm that brings a quarter century of experience to the marketplace. PDI, established in 1985 to practice fire protection engineering, began working in the rail / transit market in 2006 when it performed a comprehensive fire safety analysis for a new commuter passenger rail service. PDI has enjoyed steady growth since it’s establishment in 1985 and continues as a leader in its field.
PDI Rail Solutions primary area of focus is the rail transportation industry, including light and heavy rail, commuter, inter-city passenger and freight rail. The firm offers engineering, quality control / quality assurance, inspection, and related consulting services to both the public and private sectors. The expertise of the PDI Rail Solutions transportation engineers and professionals comes from long years of experience, working for and with major transportation providers, freight and passenger, public and private. With that experience comes an understanding, based upon multiple points of view, which in turn, leads to economical, commonsense solutions.
Our personnel bring real world knowledge to our clients and are able to assist at any phase of their projects.
- Procurement Phase (for new vehicles and existing vehicle rehabilitation)
- Manufacturing Phase
- Acceptance Phase
- Operational Certification and Training Phase
- Maintenance Program Development and Training Phase
- Project Closeout Phase
PDI, with its existing cadre of Fire Protection Engineers and Code Analysts, will continue to provide fire and life-safety consulting for the rail / transit industry and apply their expertise in the areas of:
- Fire & Safety Risk Analysis
- Smoke, Flammability, and Toxicity Testing (vehicular and wayside applications)
- Emergency Planning
PDI Rail Solutions’ consultants have Class 1, short-line freight, as well as passenger experience, ranging from local agency to national passenger operations. We offer rail / transit project management, procurement of new equipment, rehabilitation of existing equipment, regulatory compliance, and rail vehicle manufacture, operation and maintenance.
Our professionals are well versed in the myriad aspects of project management, as well as having demonstrated technical expertise in the following areas:
- Specification development and writing
- Drawing review and approval
- Bid review and analysis
- Federal regulatory compliance reviews including ADA, FRA, and FTA
- State and local regulatory compliance reviews
- Prime and subcontractor quality oversight and audits
- Quality assurance including first article and pre-shipment inspections
- Resident production engineering and oversight – both domestic and international
- Fleet system proof and vehicle testing
- Vehicle fleet implementation and integration
- Small program start-up
- Operational and Maintenance planning and support
- Qualified Maintenance Person (QMP) training (to meet FRA §238.109)
- Equipment / Systems Analysis
- Documentation / Car History Books
- Services to the Private Rail Passenger Car Segment
- Pre-purchase inspection of existing equipment
The employees of PDI Rail Solutions are active in industry associations and panels. They hold membership on important national transit association committees, including:
- The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- American Public Transit Association (APTA)
- American Association of Railroads (AAR)
- American Short Line Railroad Association (ASLRA)
- Railroad Safety Advisory Committee (RSAC)
- Transportation Research Board (TRB).
The employees and consultants of PDI Rail Solutions maintain membership in appropriate professional organizations and hold numerous professional and technical certifications.“While the launch of this division is new, PDI has been involved in the rail consulting business for the past three years. The establishment of PDI Rail Solutions will provide the necessary organizational structure to allow us to serve this very important market in a very focused way.”
— PDI President and CEO, Bob Andrews
About PDI: Founded in 1985 as a fire protection engineering firm, PDI provides a full spectrum of fire protection engineering services including sprinkler and fire alarm design, smoke modeling, and performance-based designs offering innovative solutions to complex fire and life-safety challenges. In addition, PDI provides consulting services for fire, building, and life-safety code compliance, including plans review and the issuance of commodity letters. PDI also provides government third-party plan review services on behalf of local, state, and federal agencies. In addition to its engineering and consulting services, PDI, through its Permitting Section, assists its clients in negotiating the complex permitting process, managing that process from initial application, through all necessary inspections, to final certificate of occupancy.
Protection Development, Incorporated (PDI) is a Texas Registered Engineering Firm (Firm Number F-2816), licensed under the authority of the Texas Board of Professional Engineers (TBPE). PDI is a Bob Andrews Group Company (www.BobAndrewsGroup.com).